Clifford D. Sweet, III was the founding shareholder of Heggeness & Sweet from 1974 through January 2015 where he earned a State wide reputation as a preeminent lawyer prior to becoming Of Counsel to Pearlman, Borska & Wax out of their San Diego office. Since 1981, he has been a Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Cliff has expertise in workers' compensation law including related civil actions, appellate law and workers' compensation fraud investigations.
- Rated A-V Preeminent (highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards) by Martindale Hubbell for over 25 years.
- Recipient of the Warren L. Hanna Lifetime Achievement Award for his commitment to the workers' compensation community in 2002.
- Recipient of the Workers' Compensation Defense Attorney of the Year by the Workers' Compensation Section of the State Bar of California in 2003.
- Assisted in writing important workers' compensation legislation and regulations, including the Workers' Compensation Fraud Act.
- Received his Bachelor of Arts Degree (cum laude) from the University of California, Los Angeles with a major in Swedish Political Science.
- Received his Juris Doctorate Degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles.
- Member of the State Bar of California and the San Diego County Bar Association.
- Member and twice President of the California Workers' Compensation Defense Attorneys' Association.
- Assists refugee resettlement as a volunteer through the International Rescue Committee and Jewish Family Service of San Diego.